Settings.xml is a configuration file that should not be bundled to any specific project
- configuration information such as the local repository location
- authentication information such as username and password.
Use the global settings from the Maven installation dir M2_HOME/conf
There are two locations where a settings.xml file may live:
- The Maven install conf: M2_HOME/conf/settings.xml (configuration for all Maven users on a machine (assuming they're all using the same Maven installation).
- The user’s install conf: user.home/.m2/settings.xml (configuration for a single user)
This location can be overridden with the CLI option:
- User level: -s /path/to/user/settings.xml
- Global Level. -gs /path/to/global/settings.xml
The contents of the settings.xml may use the following expressions:
- user.home and all other properties system properties (since Maven 3.0)
- env.myEnvVariable etc. for the environment variables
See Settings.xml Reference for a full description.