Apache Common Log Format
Log file entry for a request:
127.0.0.1 - - [24/Jul/1973:08:32:01 -0400] "GET /images/gerardnico.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2564
- 127.0.0.1 is the IP address (or host name, if available) of the client (remote host) which made the request to the server.
- - The “hyphen” in the output indicates that the requested piece of information (user identity from remote machine) is not available.
- - The “hyphen” in the output indicates that the requested piece of information (user identity from local logon) is not available.
- [24/Jul/1973:08:32:01 -0400] The server “end time” to process the request. The format is: [day/month/year:hour:minute:second timezone]
- day = 2 digits
- month = 3 letters
- year = 4 digits
- hour = 2 digits
- minute = 2 digits
- second = 2 digits
- zone = (+ | -) 4 digits
- “GET /images/launch-logo.gif HTTP/1.0” The first line of the request string from the client. It consists of three components:
- 200 The status code
- 2564 The size of the object returned to the client, not including the response headers. If no content was returned to the client, this value will be “-” (or sometimes 0).