System that manages data are called database.
In a computer, there is two kinds of byte
- and data byte.
This section is about data byte also known as:
- or simply value
Data are recorded value that have been:
- or observed (ie event)
Data are often viewed as the lowest level of abstraction from which information and knowledge are derived.
Data comes from the Latin word datum meaning a thing given.
The word data is the plural of the word datum, which means the result of a single measurement.
Data without context tells a misleading story.
In God we trust; all others must bring data.
Always keep one hand firmly on data, Amos liked to say. Data was what set psychology apart from philosophy, and physics from metaphysics.
Application needs to:
- Store and retrieve data:
- Speed up response time by remembering the result of expensive operations (caches),
- Search data or filter it (indexes),
From Data To Wisdom
- Data: recorded facts
- Information: patterns, or expectations, that underlie them
- Knowledge: the accumulation of your set of expectations
- Wisdom: the value attached to knowledge