Online transaction processing (or OLTP) refers to a class of application that support a business transaction process.
- Databases (SAP, Oracle, SQL) supporting Online Transaction Processing
The data model that supports this process are called entity-relationship model (ER)
I/O - Workload (Access Pattern)
- Typically 2KB – 16KB request sizes;
- Read modify, write, verify operations resulting in 2 reads for every write;
- Primarily random accesses.
- Large number of concurrent requests.
- When running SQL statements in parallel, Database will perform typically large random I/Os.