When multiple users run the same query, the results that are returned to each user depend on their access rights and roles in the organization.
Example / Use case
- A sales vice president sees results for all regions, while a sales representative for a particular region sees only data for that region.
- Hospital: Allows doctors to view data rows only for their own patients, and that allows insurance claims administrators to view only specific rows for their specific site.
- Bank: Only employees in the finance department are allowed to see customer invoices, payments, and accrual data; only European HR employees can see European employee data)
- Tenant: A multi-tenant application can create logical separation of each tenant's data so that each tenant can see only their own data rows.
- Implemented also in Virtual Private Database (VPD)