The developers of IPython have build the IPython Notebook, a system inspired by Mathematica that allows you to create “executable documents.” IPython Notebooks can integrate:
- formatted text (Markdown),
- executable code (Python),
- mathematical formulae (LaTeX),
- and graphics/visualizations (matplotlib)
into a single document that captures the flow of an exploration and can be exported as a formatted report or an executable script.
You can run a cell by:
- pressing “shift-enter”, which will compute the current cell and advance to the next cell,
- or by clicking in a cell and pressing “control-enter”, which will compute the current cell and remain in that cell.