vim Getting Started page.
Open a file
To open the file, run
The contents of the file must appear.
The file is created if it does not exist yet.
The below command will get you in vi not in vim and you will lost some improvement.
How to edit a file
To work with VIM, you navigate between two modes:
- Insert mode to enter text
When you want to edit/modify a file, the logical sequence is:
- create/open a file in Vim
- Tape i to enter in Insert Mode and type your text and made modifications
- The screen must be like this
- to press the ESC button to leave the insert mode and to enter in a normal mode
- save the file by entering the command :w
You would type the command,
- ESC to go to the normal mode
- :q to quit Vim
- or :q! to quit without saving. The override command modifier ! is needed because Vim is reluctant to throw away changes