- operations (e.g.,add) called mnemonic
- operands (e.g., t0).
- addresses (branches and jumps) called label
Hardware-specific features require writing assembly code.
More See Assembly - Grammar (Syntax)
Why learning assembly ?
Learning assembly gives you a particular insight into how programmable device (and particularly a computer) works.
Assembly language is also the only tool, for implementing low-level component, such as:
- and low-level kernel components. Example:
- enabling and disabling interrupts,
- enabling protected mode,
- accessing the Control Registers,
- creating a Global Descriptor Table