Entry are the content of a LDAP directory and they represents entity or objects such as:
- groups of people
- or anything else
LDAP deployments today tend to use Domain name system (DNS) names for structuring the topmost levels of the hierarchy.
Entries consist of a set of attributes.
The permitted attributes of an entry are determined by:
- The objectClass attribute (It specifies the object classes of an entry and is mandatory for each entry)
- The system and user schema
The following four attributes MUST be present in all subschema entries:
- objectClass: the attribute MUST have at least the values “top” and “subschema”.
- objectClasses: each value of this attribute specifies an object class known to the server.
- attributeTypes: each value of this attribute specifies an attribute type known to the server.