The Spark SQL Framework
- can execute SQL queries (Hive as syntax)
- returns the result as:
- or a ResultSet via JDBC/ODBC
This library is part of the core distribution since Spark 1.0 (April 2014)
This module provides support for executing relational queries expressed in either :
- or the DataFrame/Dataset API.
Spark SQL is broken up into four subprojects:
- Catalyst (sql/catalyst) - An implementation-agnostic framework for manipulating trees of relational operators and expressions.
- Hive Support (sql/hive) - Includes an extension of SQLContext called HiveContext that allows users to write queries using a subset of HiveQL and access data from a Hive Metastore using Hive SerDes. There are also wrappers that allow users to run queries that include Hive UDFs, UDAFs, and UDTFs.