Build tool are tools that
- takes your sources:
- compile it into a target format such as
- an HTML or Word document for a markdown document
- test it eventually
- distribute it (to a web site, …)
- generate the documentation.
It's an helper tool in order to build an application
The result of a successful build (artifacts) can be uploaded elsewhere.
A build is generally triggered:
- or for a recurrent period of time (checking the file modification time)
The next step in the process of code shipping is the creation of a release.
The GNU Build System: