A release is packaging your application under a version in a format that is suitable for the distribution channel.
If you publish your application to:
- a package manager, you should create your application in the required directory structure
- a website for easy download and install, you would wrapped it into an installer
- for a library, you would need to create a descriptor file that describe the version, the description,…
- for an application, you would add the documentation
A release implies several steps such as:
- that will create a versioned artifact files
- … etc
Stable release are periodic release of code that will not change continuously.
While stable releases might be get a version with dotted numbers, development versions of a project often need to be tracked by:
- build number
- or even build date.
The log of the version control system can be used to generate release notes.
- maven-changelog-plugin can help to see all VCS commits.