Three-way merge allows concurrent development. 1)
It involves three files:
- The (Original|Received|Master|Parent) files: the original local file before modification.
- The Target/Modified File: the local file with your modifications.
- The Current/Production File: Generally, the file that is in production and where some modifications may have been performed by other people.
The merge process involves three steps :
- Comparison between the current and the target file to find out your modifications
- Conflict Resolution or Reconciliation (if any). You must decide which modifications are applied.
- Merge. The last step is where you just start the merge action.