Inkscape is a vector graphic (drawing) tool.
- Canvas: The drawing area:
- Moving Page: Spacebar + Mouse movement, or Shift + Right Click or Click and drag Mouse Wheel
- Zoom where the cursor is: Ctrl + Mouse Wheel
- 5 shortcut to zoom and fit the page on the windows
- 4 shortcut to zoom and fit the drawing on the windows
- 3 shortcut to zoom and fit the selection on the windows
- Printed, exporting or other predefined area.
- Colors can be dragged from the palette onto objects to change their Fill. Using the Shift key while dragging will change the Stroke color instead
- Command bar: shortcuts to command located in the header menus.
- Tool Controls: Contains specific to the selected tool.
- Tool Box:
- Clicking on an icon selects a tool. Double-clicking brings up that tool's preference dialog.
- Status Bar
- Style Indicator: Shows the style (Fill and Stroke) of a selected object, text fragment, or gradient stop.
- A Left Mouse Click on the Fill or Stroke paint part of the indicator opens the Fill and Stroke dialog at the right (not as a popup)
- A Right Mouse Click opens up a pop-up menu.
- Ruler: Show the x- and y-axis coordinates of the drawing.
- A Left Mouse Drag from a Ruler onto the Canvas creates a Guide Line.
Inkscape implements Dockable Dialogs.