captcha means Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.
They are explicitly designed to prevent automation.
A captcha occurs when the contact is asked to resolve a challenge:
- ie enter text given in a box in a distorted font
- or to solve a simple math problem.
A captcha test is also difficult for human and is therefore a barrier on forms submission
recaptcha is easier.
Simpler than captcha
- reCAPTCHA v2 just requires the contact to click a checkbox.
- reCAPTCHA v3 returns a score based on the interactions with your website.
- 1.0 is very likely a good interaction,
- 0.0 is very likely a bot
In a testing environment
Captcha is explicitly designed to prevent automation and there are two primary strategies to get around CAPTCHA checks:
- Disable CAPTCHAs in your test environment
- Add a hook to allow tests to bypass the CAPTCHA