A functional dependency occur when :
The data of an attribute A (of a column) depend of a value of an other attribute B (of column) in the same table
Then we say that
- The attribute A is the dependent
- The attribute B is the determinant
A is then a derived attribute of B.
Functional Dependency tab
In the data profiling tools, the Functional Dependency tab shows any attribute(s) that seem to depend on or determine other attributes.
- Determinant: The name of the attribute that is found to determine the attribute listed in the Dependent
- Dependent: The name of the attribute found to be determined by value of another attribute
- # Defects and % Compliance: These columns show the number of values that did not show the discovered dependency, and the percentage of values that did meet it.
- Six Sigma: The six sigma value.
- Type: The suggested action for the discovered dependency.
When you create a data rule with Project Explorer, OWB will ask you this two parameters.