Binary classification is used to predict one of two possible outcomes.
A two class problem (binary problem) has possibly only two outcomes:
- “yes or no”
- “success” or “failure”
and is much more known as a Bernoulli trial (or binomial trial)
- Is this transaction a fraud ?
- Will this prospect become a customer ?
- Which employees are likely to leave a company in the next year …
- Is the top card of a shuffled deck an ace?
- Was the newborn child a girl?
- Rolling a die, where a six is “success” and everything else a “failure”.
- In conducting a political opinion poll, choosing a voter at random to ascertain whether that voter will vote “yes” in an upcoming referendum.