Dbms_xplan is a method for:
- querying and displaying the explain plan output.
- display the plan of a statement stored:
- or in a SQL tuning set.
- the SQL execution plan (VSQL_PLAN)
- and SQL execution runtime statistics for cached SQL cursors (VSQL_PLAN_STATISTICS_ALL)
- plans from a SQL plan baseline.
It includs the supplemental information at the bottom of the report (new in Oracle9i release2)
to format and display the contents of a plan table. The query :
Select * From table( dbms_xplan.display)
Will perform the same function than the @?rdms\admin\utlxpls.sql
Using it with the VSQL_PLAN dynamic performance view, we can easily dump the query plans for already executed statements, directly from the database : Actual Plan with DBMS XPLAN