The console is a character-based console device.
Generally when the standard stream are available, we have a console connection.
Console are not shell.
A console window is known as a local terminal
- java.exe (but not javaw.exe),
- Cmder (ConEmu based terminal): console emulator
Why Text to Console is slow
Why is stdout attached to the console so slow
- The bytes have to be sent to the console application (should be quite fast)
- Each char has to be rendered using (usually) a true type font (that's pretty slow)
- The displayed area may have to be scrolled in order to append a new line to the visible area (best case: bit block transfer operation, worst case: re-rendering of the complete text area)