Oracle Hyperion - Essbase
Hyperion Essbase is an Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) server that :
- extracts data from a wide range of datasources, including :
- Oracle Database 11g and other relational databases,
- and spreadsheets,
- calculates and then aggregates this data
- and then provides fast access to the results, using a dimensional model through several APIs and languages, including XML/A and MDX. Users interact and intuitively explore data in real time and along familiar business dimensions, enabling them to perform speed-of-thought analytics.
For users with complex analytical requirements, Oracle’s Hyperion Essbase, can provide access to :
- advanced calculations,
- cross-dimensional queries,
- and aggregated data.
Essbase was created to provide :
- one system that satisfy the global reporting and give accuracy
- multidimensional spreadsheet-based analysis.
It was originally developed in order to deal with the scalability issues associated with spreadsheets such as Lotus 1-2-3 and Microsoft Excel.
It is why Essbase means Extended SpreadSheet Database
Oracle Hyperion Essbase is :
- part of the Oracle Fusion Middleware family of products.
- a business analysis server technology
- an environment for rapid development of custom analytic and enterprise performance management applications.
An OLAP solution is needed when you begin to work with non-additive fact.