SimpleDb is a Nosql database with a web services interface to:
- create and store multiple data sets,
- query data and return the results.
It may be used as a time serie database.
- SimpleDB requires customers to manage their datasets in containers called Domains, which have a finite capacity in terms of storage (10 GB) and request throughput.
- Indexes all attributes for each item stored in a domain:
- pro: Simplifies the schema design and provides query flexibility
- cons: No predictability particularly as dataset sizes grow.
- No write predictability: every database write needs to update all attribute indices (regardless of whether the customer is using all the indices for querying).
- No read predictability: working set does not always fit in memory.